My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://declancashin.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Bad to the Bone(r)


Q&A with starsof Superbad, Michael Cera (19), Jonah Hill (23) and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (18) from the Irish Independent, Sept 14


Why do you think a movie about the nerds and unpopular kids has struck such a chord with audiences?
MC: I think people can relate to it. Even if you were popular in school, you can relate to it. You knew these kids even if you weren’t them.
JH: I think people are also really sick of comedies with no sense of reality. It’s like when I first came across Freaks and Geeks [cancelled cult TV show]. I remember thinking, ‘ I can’t believe there’s a television show like this’. Then they axed it! But the fans who loved it were obsessed with it. That showed that people wanted something they could relate to, that seemed familiar or realistic.



Did the studio suits ever become nervous that the movie had too much swearing and sexual content for the US audience in particular?
MC: It was never an issue. We never had to censor ourselves either. Besides, it’s not that shocking.
JH: Judd’s earned a lot of confidence from the studios. If someone with less assurance had been involved, they probably would have had to tone things down.
CMP: Yes, like if Steven Spielberg had been making it.



What are your favourite comedies and who are your comedic heroes?
MC: I love Rushmore and Wes Anderson
JH: The Big Lebowski and the Coen Brothers in general. The Jerk is also one of the classics. Does Harold and Maude count as a comedy?
CMP: Dazed and Confused was awesome. I watched that a lot before starting this movie.



Are you guys getting any more action with the ladies since the movie’s success?
MC: I can safely say I’m getting the exact same level of action that I’ve always gotten.
JH: Really? That little?
CMP: Women like actors so there are those benefits. That’s all I’m saying.
JH: I seem to have gotten a lot more handsome in the past month.



Do you have any favourite chat-up lines that you like to use?
MC: I have an Irish-themed pick up line: ‘You must be Irish because my penis is Dublin’.
JH: ‘Is that a mirror in your pocket because I can see myself in your pants?’ No, I seriously don’t use that one. Ahem.
CMP: ‘Did it hurt when you fell from heaven’?
MC: Chris, remove yourself from my company please.



How long before the McLovin’ merchandise hits the streets?
CMP: There are T-shirts already!
JH: I’m waiting for the Superbad videogame. It all takes place on the one night and you go around trying to steal beer and increase your scoring ability – literally.
MC: I’m personally waiting for McLovin: The Album.
JH: McLovin’ Sings the Classics
MC: It could take other songs and replace key words like ‘love’ with McLovin’ - You’ve Lost That McLovin Feeling’.
CMP: I’m copywriting that.



What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you at a party?
MC: I have a whole lot of stories about other people at parties. Turn off the tape recorder.
CMP: A friend of mine fell asleep in the bath, but must have thought it was a toilet. Gross.
JH: I met a girl at a party in high school and we were fooling around. I thought I was being very cool, but I was so drunk that I got sick on her shoes. And I had just eaten Subway.
MC: The perfect 12 inch.
JH: No girl wants that 12 incher!



Finally, can you sum up Superbad in three words?
JH: Let’s all give a word.
CMP: Friendly
MC: Super.
JH: Bad. No wait, it’s good!

No comments: