My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://declancashin.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Summer Lovin'



I've spent the last few evenings howling and weeping - nothing new there, I guess - but this time, my wailing was induced by watching Summer Heights High, a mockumentary series set in an Australian public school, written by and starring Chris Lilley, who plays three parts in the show: Ja'mie King, a racist, snobby, bitchy private school exchange student; Jonah Takalua, a 13-year-old ADHD-afflicted, special ed Tongan bully; and, my favourite, Mr G, a petty, mincing, self-centered drama teacher - sorry, Director of Performing Arts - who is determined to stage a lavish school musical based on a Summer Heights High student who died from an Ecstasy overdose. 

Crass, tasteless, offensive, racist - and all the better for it - SHH is like Mean Girls meets Home and Away meets The Office meets Nighty Night. It's absolutely brilliant television.  Dig it up somwhere - you'll thank me later. *dick* tation

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PUCK YOU DEC!!!

P.S. long time reader, first time leaving a comment... :-)

Declan Cashin said...

Hey Orla! Puck you too! I hear you're a fan - I can't believe it took me so long to cotton onto this. It's just how I imagine schools and teachers' lives to be...